See below on how to contact your legislator.
Protect Our Public Schools!
Stop the Mayor’s Takeover of MPS
We acknowledge that MPS has not done a good enough job educating all students. The Governor wants to solve this complicated problem by side-stepping the elected school board and by giving power over the schools to the Mayor.
- Mayoral control has not worked in other cities. There is no reason to believe it will work in Milwaukee.
- Mayoral takeover is not about benefiting MPS students: It is about money and political power.
- Is the Mayor’s office really going to return your phone call if you have a problem at school?
- Mayoral control is about the privatization of public schools, taking away the voting rights of Milwaukee residents, and handing power to wealthy businessmen in the suburbs.
- The City can’t even fix pot holes in the streets. And it’s done nothing to address unemployment. Why would anyone think the Mayor can fix the schools?
Be a voice for our children, for public education,
and for democracy
Call your state legislators and tell them you don’t want a Mayoral takeover.
Unsure who your legislator is? Call (800) 362-9472 from 8:15am – 4:45pm M-F
or go to www.legis.state.wi.us
Your legislators need your input on this, but if you can, also call
Mike Sheridan, Speaker of the Assembly, (888) 947-0044 and
Russ Decker, Senate Majority Leader, (608) 266-2502.
Tell them you oppose the takeover and why.
For more info or to help, contact: The Coalition to Stop the MPS Takeover. Call the NAACP at
414-562-1000, email email@example.com